I think perhaps in my entire long-lived existence that there were only 2 years in which I ever made new year's resolutions. Both are so far back in antiquity that I can't even remember when or what they were.
I suppose the making of resolutions symbolizes hope -- the hope that with a new year, there will be new beginnings, changes, successes. Does this then mean that if one doesn't make resolutions, one is a cynic? A failure? A pessimist? Perhaps a realist?
In any case, resolutions aren't quite my thing. I'm more of the "slowly but surely" type, rather than the "Here it is in black and white; I'm going to make it happen or else!" That said, some things I'd like to make sure I adhere to:
1. Meet with my close friends at least once a month.
2. Walk/exercise more.
3. Manage my time more efficiently.
4. Get back to writing more snail mail, including using the ton of stationery and scrapbooking accessories I have (instead of buying yet more [!]).
5. Post a blog entry no more than 2-3 days apart.
On a global front, there are so many things to wish for that it's hard to know where to begin. I suppose really my one desire is that people learn tolerance. Without tolerance, there's a huge culture of misunderstanding, hubris, anger, and hatred across all races and peoples, in all countries.
May there be greater understanding, love, friendship, and peace on earth.
My resolution was to lay around a lot more. Might as well go with the flow!!