Tea and Books, etc.

Where inanity and insanity are separated by a mere letter. NEXT BLOG

Food for Thought


WARNING: Contents under pressure. DO NOT OPEN IN AN INTELLECTUAL VACUUM. ~ A rubber stamp


In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of. ~Confucius


"The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do." ~Sarah Ban Breathnach


"I would not exchange the laughter of my heart for the fortunes of the multitudes." ~Khalil Gibran


"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi


"How can we say there is peace when so many go hungry?" ~Oscar Arias Sanchez


"Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." ~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson


"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infans. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. ~Omar N Bradley


"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it." ~Margaret Fuller

Free Charities (Please click every day)
Fave Charities
Daily Must-Reads
Other Links
Subscribe
Site Meter
Other
    Aloha
Thursday, February 23, 2006
School Reunions
Okay, I admit it: I'm not much of a social animal. As my blog name and description suggest, I am, and always have been, more at home among my books, with close friends and family.

Imagine my feelings last night when I found a notice for the 20th anniversary of my escape from secondary school...

Um, no thanks!

As a concept, I have no problem with school reunions. I understand that it is a way to relive the joys (and pitfalls!) of those formative years, to connect again with people we've lost track of over time and to network. And, of course, it is a way for people to show off what they've achieved and whom they've married, whether as an opportunity to prove others were wrong about them or simply because they need the validation. But aside from the stress of demanding school work, I did not experience any of the angst or peaks/troughs that is so often depicted in films. I do not have anything to prove.

I think this means I've been very fortunate. Many of my coworkers and acquaintances would and do disagree. It doesn't much bother me, but it is perplexing: am I somehow deficient because my perspective is different from theirs, because my experiences have not followed 'tradition'?

By and large, I have kept in contact with my friends from school. Of those I was close to then, only 3 are no longer in communication with me. Coincidentally, the gradually decreasing letters and phone calls eventually became the final breaks around the same time, about 6 years after we left school.

There was no drama involved. No betrayal of trust. We simply pursued different interests and all of us moved far from home. Long distance relationships, be they platonic or romantic, can be very difficult to maintain. That is to say, it's not impossible, but it does take time, patience and effort... sometimes the friendship or partnership doesn't survive through no fault of anyone involved. It just is.

I have few regrets. After all, the person I am today has been shaped by more than a brief time period of adolescent longings and fears, joys and triumphs. I might have taken a different path than most, but it seems to me that that is a good thing.

[For other comments, click here.]
posted by Cheshire Cat @ 2/23/2006 02:47:00 pm  
2 teabag(s) brewed:
  • At 28 February, 2006 00:48, Blogger Cheshire Cat said…

    Hang on, SI!

    I'm the one who's oblivious, if you please! As you very well know. :-P

    How odd; you were the one who were with a crowd at school, you said, and I'm the one who didn't have a clue what was going on at my own! Gangs! Sex! Socials!

    Frightful, really.

    Still. So I've kept in touch with more of my friends from then than you? Now, that really is mind-boggling! ;-)

     
  • At 28 February, 2006 01:52, Blogger Cheshire Cat said…

    Hmm, you're right. The only 3 I don't have contact with any longer are the same 3 who didn't go to the same college we did.

    As for the whole gang, sex, drugs, etc -- I didn't find out until college.

    Looking back I'm almost astounded at how blind I was. So blind that it's amazing I've made it to this advanced age.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
Occupation
    Frightening other bloggers.
My More Lurid Blog
Clustermaps
    Locations of visitors to this page
Weather Pixie
    The WeatherPixie
Moon Phase
    CURRENT MOON
    lunar phases
Informational Posts
Previous Posts
Archives
Internal Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER